[MPlayer-users] does debug compile affect performance?

Mon Sep 8 15:56:10 CEST 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> No. Debug information generates larger binary, but it's separated
DRFI>> inside the binary file, and when you don't run debugger, it isn't loaded
DRFI>> at all. In linux, when you run some file, its code isn't just loaded to
DRFI>> memory; instead, kernel mmaps it. And when no one access debug code,
DRFI>> kernel doesn't even touch it.
DRFI>
DRFI>Have you confirmed this in practice? From my experience, programs
DRFI>compiled with -g always have significantly larger RSS...

Well, I don't think I looked at RSS, but I can tell you for sure that
even multimedia programs or games that use all free cpu time run with no
slowdown at all when compiled with -g; I tested this several times.
Never checked mplayer, though, but results should be the same. But I
don't know how exactly MP_DEBUG and -DDEBUG will affect preformance,
there may be a reason in testing that...

--

Vladimir