[MPlayer-users] encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quants and quality

HR haavroed at online.no
Tue Sep 9 11:03:53 CEST 2003

Reading the encoding tips in the tech docs and other documentation on
quality encoding, my understanding is that bpp values less than 0.20
should be used with close attention to the quant's listed in the 2pass
log. Ofcourse, close attention to those quant's is propably a good idea
regardless of the bpp's used.

As the codecs get better and better, how true is the bpp recommandation
table in encoding-tips.txt now and in the near future?

I recently encoded a DVD (dungeons and dragons) to a 700MB XViD,
downscaling for a decent AR and a bpp of 0.199. The result looks quite
decent, but reviewing the 2pass log, I notice that ALL frames got a
quant of 2. I should propably scale it up a bit then, but how can it be
that ALL the quants = 2?

HR