[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder crash

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Sep 9 12:01:40 CEST 2003

mslama at email.cz wrote:
> It seems in the middle vo config request is invoked. Is it known problem?
> Shall I investigate it further? How?

The crash happened right at the end of a movie or show, though not at
the end of the VOB, right? Did you concatenate a bunch of titles? I've
observed that the last chapter of a DVD title is usually empty. Maybe
it's just an end marker. I've also observed the crash you had, usually
right at the end of the movie. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I usually specify -endpos with a time just slightly short of the actual
movie time. Alternatively, it might work to avoid copying the last empty
chapter of the title. Since your crash didn't happen at the end of your
VOB, you may have to encode each title or chapter composing that VOB
separately.

I did encode one normal length movie that had such a discontinuity right
in the middle. It actually changed aspect ratio from one scene to the
next. I can only assume it was a mistake that was ignored by most DVD
players. When playing the movie from the DVD, MPlayer got confused at
that point and had no video from then on. Xine changed the aspect ratio
of its window, but never changed back, so everything looked stretched
from then on. When encoding it, I had to use GOPchop to get two separate
VOBs and encode them separately.

Jonathan Rogers