[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Wed Sep 10 08:54:29 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> G450 and higher are just crippled versions of the G400, so there's no
> reason to buy them except to waste money!

except that you don't get g400s anymore.

> ATI works great with the GATOS (free!!) drivers.

except for TV out, which is extremely cumbersome to setup on the cards
i have (reboot with tv plugged in etc. I dont want to reboot to activate
TVout), ok, this is no sample of current ATI cards, Mach64 DVD+ and
Rage Mobility 2 P/M.

> Some nvidia cards now work fine with the free drivers too. The crappy
> binary drivers are only needed for certain (mostly older) cards or for
> opengl.

Well, there are people who pay for a 3d engine and want to use it ;-)
For me and my kids, the matrox is enough, but there are people, who use
opengl - and not only for playing games. One of them told me, that the
nvidia driver has the most featureful 3d driver. I cant judge this. And
the drivers seem to be constantly evolving, maybe they are no longer as
crappy as we may remember them (2 years ago was the last time i had to
use a nvidia card at work).

>> I always was an anti-Nvidia-binary-driver advocate, but since there seems
>> to be NO hardware with open specs and open drivers, i probably would use
>> the one which is best and continuously supported.
>
> This is G400, which *does* have free drivers. ATI would also be a good
> choice, as long as you get a card supported by GATOS.

but why buy ATI, who don't give out useable drivers and specs and not buy
nvidia who at least provide a driver?. btw, afaict GATOS doesnt provide
more funcitonality than the opensource nv driver. Or does it provide
3d acceleration (can't check now, since i'm offline)?

maybe i'm a bit "devils advocate" here, but the world isnt always black
and white.

regards,

    Stefan
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at s3e.de, seife at gmx.li