[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quants and quality

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Sep 10 11:33:36 CEST 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Matthias Wieser wrote:

> > Just a comment: I've recently experimented encoding PAL video (768x576
> Video or TV? TV normally has more noise. Denoise3d should help.

TV. And I am using denoise (hqdn3d=15:15:12 actually).

> Those bpp values are probably thought for two-pass encoding. If you only

I am using two-pass encoding.

> use "vhq" then you need more bpp than if you use
> "vhq:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:trell".

Well, have you tried precmp=6:cmp=6:subcmp=6? Should be better than 2,
but I haven't benchmarked except for short videos (PSNR was then
slightly better... but very slightly).

What about dia=6:predia=6? At least it is slow but should help much on fast
motion scenes, right?