[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Sep 11 10:44:25 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> IMO legal action would be good. What other type of business, except
> computer hardware, can get away with selling a product that requires
> very specific technical information to use it, and NOT PROVIDING THAT
> INFORMATION TO CUSTOMERS?!? Perhaps some users could try driving the
> hardware themselves (making random guesses at how to control it) then
> sue nvidia when they break it, since they weren't given sufficient
> info to know how to avoid breaking it... :) Other ideas are welcome!

That's not entirely fair. Computer hardware manufacturers provide enough
information to use their products in the fashion they officially
support. If they don't support the way one wants to use it, one is free
to buy from a competitor. I think Microsoft's dominance is the main
problem. When there is true competition in both software and hardware,
hardware manufacturers will have to support more platforms and open
their hardware. GNU/Linux doesn't yet compete very well with Windoze in
gaming. It presenting serious competition in servers, so hardware
required in servers (NICs, SCSI controllers, serial port controllers,
etc.) is much better supported.

Jonathan Rogers