[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quantsand quality

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Sep 12 11:15:50 CEST 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, HR wrote:

>extreme measure? When should I *stop* increasing the picture size then?

Well, the last question is fortunately rather easy:

- Never use an image size larger than the original video

Also, if you can not see any difference between the original and scaled
down version of the video, it might be good idea to scale down. I think.

Take a snapshot of a frame with rapidly changing area (a lattice on floor
or something...) and try scaling down and again up it with Gimp. As long
as you can not see a difference between the original and the scaled version
of the image, it should be safe to use the smaller size for encoding.

Assuming you have good monitor at large resolution.