[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Fri Sep 12 11:03:18 CEST 2003

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> writes:

> I've always disliked using a proprietary driver, but is it even feasible
> to reverse engineer hardware for functions as complex as 3D
> acceleration? Obviously, Nvidia should release enough specs to
> facilitate driver development. I wonder what it would take to bring this
> about.

probably it would bring them a lot of lawsuits, since there seem to exist
a lot of nonsense patente in the area of 3d, so no one can make a card
without violating patents. But without specs, this is hard to prove for
the competitors ;-) IANAL, but i read something like this and it seemed
logical to me, albeit sad.
Look at the facts: no manufacturer of current 3d hardware is giving
out specs.

 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de