[MPlayer-users] Re: Documentation update.

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sat Sep 13 14:56:02 CEST 2003

Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Which bugs? In the documentation I could not find a reason not to use
> 3-pass encoding. With google I found:
> http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-May/033019.html

The main reason not to use 3-pass is that it's a waste of time,
especially if you're going to end up with an OGM. It doesn't do anything
that 2-pass doesn't. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never
understood its purpose. I tried it a few times because it was
recommended, but the end result was indistinguishable from using 2-pass.

Jonathan Rogers