[MPlayer-users] Right order for filters?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Sep 13 17:15:15 CEST 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 01:31:32PM +0200, Nico wrote:
> Hi,
> assuming I want to crop, denoise, rescale and deinterlace, what the most
> convenient
> order of application ?
>
> Sometimes I use
>
> -vf crop=,pp=,hqdn3d,scale=

Which pp options are you using? Deinterlace can go after crop (as long
as crop offset is a multiple of two, which it should ALWAYS be
anyway), but any other postprocessing (deblock, dering, etc.) MUST be
performed before other filters. Otherwise the necessary info from the
codec is lost.

> but I wonder
> - if it is a waste of time denoising before rescaling (down),

Maybe. I've had ok success using denoise3d after downscaling, but that
was mainly for making low quality, low-res encodes for sending to
friends who really didn't care about quality. You'd have to do some
extensive testing to see how quality compares when making good
encodes.

> - if  cropping before deinterlacing (for viewing very badly interlaced old
>    movies on the PC monitor, not on the TV) is the right order

Should be ok.

Rich