[MPlayer-users] Documentation update.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Sep 13 17:17:53 CEST 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 12:07:22PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Freitag, 12. September 2003 02:33 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
>
> > BTW2, 3pass mode is buggy and should not be used unless you really
> > know what you're doing and you're sure you won't trigger one of the
> > bugs! :)
>
> Which bugs? In the documentation I could not find a reason not to use
> 3-pass encoding. With google I found:

A few things...

1) 3pass encoding will not work with field-coded mpeg2 (common on PAL
   DVDs). You'll get completely bogus output.

2) 3pass encoding will not work with any framerate-alterring filters.
   You can try to use it but you'll get lots of choppiness and
   possibly A/V desync!

3) There have been reports where 3pass encoding randomly breaks A/V
   sync even without these circumstances...

Rich