[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphic card for MPlayer

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Sep 15 12:00:58 CEST 2003

Alain Ledesma wrote:
>>With NVidia you have to live
>>with binary-only drivers, and with ATI you have to live >without many
>>features of the card.
>

> A very good situation, indeed! An any other manufacturer?
>

>>GATOS drivers are pretty-much
>>_the_ drivers for ATI cards on XFree86 systems, and the >GATOS
>>developers
>>seem perfectly content to only support the basic >functions of the
>>card.
>

> So having an Ati card on a Linux system is a waste of money. Thanks I got mine from a friend at very low price!

AFAIK, there are binary-only drivers, which support much more features,
so with ATi you can at least choose more features, but closed, or open,
but with less features.

I still have a GeForce2MX and I have to say that I didn't encounter
problems with the nvidia drivers for a long time. Their first releases
were terrible, but the current ones are pretty usable, as long as you
don't use nvidia framebuffer (currently running on 2.6.0test5 kernel
without hassle). I don't miss vidix at all, even with Xv output, the
system load during playback is minimal.

Regards,
--
Jindrich Makovicka