[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and divx4

Arwed von Merkatz v.merkatz at gmx.net
Tue Sep 16 02:22:18 CEST 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:37:09PM -0700, Stevan Mitrovic wrote:
> I want to convert mpeg movie to divx. I have
> divx-5.0.5. In older version mpleyer 0.90 That work
> working very good with 5.0 divx. Now when I install
> divx 5.0.5 and mplayer 1.0pre1 I got this message:
>
> [silencer at eva Video]$ mencoder cile.avi -ovc divx4
> -oac mp3lame -o test.avi
[...]
> Couldn't find video filter 'divx4'
> Failed to open the encoder.
> Exiting...
> [silencer at eva Video]$
>
> What is a problem???
> I can only use a lavc as -ovc but Quality is so bad.
> If there is an option to make with lavc good compress
> telle me.
> what to put in -lavcopts???

My guess is that the divx5 lib wasn't detected when you compiled
mplayer, or if you used a binary package it was compiled without divx4/5
support.
Does 'mencoder -ovc help' list the divx codec?

There have been a lot of discussion how to get the best quality with
lavc, try searching the archives. I had pretty good results with
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:trell:v4mv:mbd=2:vbitrate=<rate>:vpass=<pass>
You should definitely use 2-pass encoding.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video