[MPlayer-users] Editing out commercials

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Sun Sep 21 21:27:39 CEST 2003

AthlonRob wrote:
> Hey folks-
>
> How do y'all edit out commercials after you've recorded a TV show?
> There are some shows I'd like to save for a while, on CD... but I hate
> wasting ~25% of the CD on commercials... I could up the bitrate if I
> could cut out commercials.
>
> Going through the show the first time and picking the points where the
> commercials lie isn't a problem.  Just grab the number of seconds from
> the start, where the commercials start and end isn't a problem.
>
> But has anybody come up with an easy automated way to then cut out those
> sections from the divx file?
>
> I did google about a bit and didn't find much except some discussion
> about different methods of autmagically identifying and cutting out
> commercials... but I don't want to trust something to do the
> identification for me.  :-)

I cut them using avidemux. Here the situation isn't so bad, about two or
three blocks per movie. The scene change detection in the encoder almost
always puts a keyframe at the start and end of the commercial block, so
it's easy to cut them out. Avidemux is very easy to use and cutting one
movie is matter of a minute or two.

--
Jindrich Makovicka