[MPlayer-users] /dev/fb0 no such device [again]

Felix Cuello felix at anubis.qodiga.com
Mon Sep 22 04:42:35 CEST 2003

Hi!

   Well... I readed the threads of the mplayer-users trying to discover
   WHY mplayer doesn't work in my Debian machine... but the answers are
   not good for me.

   <my_brief_history_with_mplayer>

   Mplayer ALWAYS works fine [Mandrake, RedHat, Debian/testing] with
   exactly the same hardware [but not the same version of mplayer] in my
   machine.

   but some weeks ago I was installed Debian/unstable and my mplayer
   history get worst.

   The problem is that mplayer works if I install the framebuffer
   module:

   # modprobe tdfxfb

   but only works in console [and not with all features like full screen, or
   change aspect like wide screen, etc.]

   If I load tdfxfb and try to run mplayer in X... the system crash and reset
   button is the way to take control again.

   If I don't load tdfxfb and try to run mplayer in X [under an xterm]
   there are movie sounds... but not image

   </my_brief_history_with_mplayer>

   What can I do?

   Thank you very much for your help,

   [Please apologize, my english is REALLY poor... if you misunderstand
   my words please let me know and I'll try again :-). ANd sorry for the
   long post]

   thanks a lot

   Some data of my soft and hardware:
   Mplayer version: 1.0pre1-3.3.2

   # lspci -v [only video card]
   01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo
   Banshee (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
           Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Monster Fusion AGP

   # uname -a
   Linux anubis 2.4.22 #4 Fri Sep 19 17:43:25 ART 2003 i686 GNU/Linux
   Note about the kernel: This kernel is compiled by me using  2.4.22
   source debian kernel with low-latency patches applied.
   [Another note :-) mplayer doesn't work even with the default 2.4.22
   debian unstable kernel vmlinuz-2.4.22-1-686]

   # mplayer somevideo.avi

   The (relevant)? errors are:

   tdfxfb: can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
   Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
   [fbdev2] Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device

--
Félix Cuello
felix at qodiga.com