[MPlayer-users] Re: AVI encoded file playback on other systems

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Sep 24 00:55:54 CEST 2003

Karl Ewald wrote:
> -vcodec divx4 calls a DivX codec for Windows from the win32 codec package
> supplementing mplayer.

I'm pretty sure mplayer and mencoder use the Linux shared library of
DivX, not a Win32 binary. That doesn't change the fact that it's
proprietary free beer.

> Both for technical (better quality, better speed) and religious
> (open-source, free, platform-independently developed) point of view, I would
> recommend to prefer the lavc (libavcodec) set of codecs developed in the
> ffmpeg project and integral part of mplayer.

Don't forget there's also XviD, which is a Free Software fork of DivX
and is completely supported by mencoder. I usually use libavcodec, but
some reported experiences suggest that XviD may do slightly better in
some cases. There seems to be healthy competition between the two projects.

Jonathan Rogers