[MPlayer-users] [TV-OUT] Working R128 tv-out with unplugged cable while booting

Karel Vasicek k.vasicek at seznam.cz
Thu Sep 25 10:37:04 CEST 2003

> > For the record, it started to work when I switched (in text mode) to
> > 80x50 (I boot in 80x60).  I felt the screen change its refresh rate (and

My console is 80x25.

> > for some unknown (and weird?) reason all character lines were not the
> >   same height).  It works, though :)
> >
> > I could even start a "parallel" X session, using the VESA driver.  I'm
> > currently in it, in front of my TV, writing about it.  Ain't it great? :)

Yes, it is:-)

> (Follow-up!)
>
> After quitting the parallel X session, I could not get to the original
> session - the sync was really out.  I tried "./atitvout -c; atitvout
> detect" in both console and a scrambled X, but to no result.
>
> Switching modes with SVGATextMode (as I did to switch from 80x60 to
> 80x50) would only bring nothingness and garbled screen.
>
> I tried "textmode" from the SVGAlib package, in text console mode, and
> to my
> great surprise, it scrambled my textmode but switching back and forth
> to my 1st X session everything was back to normal, both console and X.
>
> So, an alternate procedure (that works for me!)
>
> Needs SVGATextMode (if you don't boot in 80x50)
> SVGAlib (1.9.17)
> Hardware tested: Rage Fury, 32MB with TV-out

Another HW tested: ATI Xpert 2000, 16MB, with TV-out of course:-)
	(no SVGA... SW needed, I boot in 80x25)

> Get the TV to work after boot:
> ------------------------------
> 1) Plug the connector
> 2) Switch to 80x50 `SVGATextMode 80x50` // should it be needed
> 3) `./atitvout t; ./atitvout detect`
> 4) TV-out is now functional; use mplayer with vesa:vidix or start an X
> session with the vesa driver (or maybe configure some 50-60Hz
> modelines and use the ati driver? dunno yet if it works)

Another possibility may be (old) Peter Surda's GATOS TV-out r128 patch,
where also Xv works (in contrast to VESA driver). Don't know if it's now
included in GATOS driver, because of legal issues (Macrovision etc.). It's
about two years old patch, but it might work with newer driver. I succesfully
patched and compiled it against X 4.0.0 (not sure) and used it (with rebooting
of course) but now have no need nor time to try it. Something can be found on
http://gatos.sf.net/livid-gatos/2001-August/msg00061.html or
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/tvout.html or google helps.

> Getting rid of the TV out mode (to get your great refresh rate back,
> 60Hz sucks)!
> 1) Get out of your VESA-enabled X session and/or mplayer
> 2) `./atitvout c; ./atitvout detect` // I think it did nothing, but
> really nothing to lose here

As I wrote in my first mail, after executing these two commands
I get nice X. Without executing, my X are synced out. I use a
shell script:

atitvout t
atitvout detect
mplayer -vo vesa:vidix ...
atitvout c
atitvout detect

After exiting mplayer I get "black screens of death" (loose picture both
on TV and CRT), but when I switch back into X, I have a nice picture.
Without "atitvout c; atitvout detect" the X picture would be synced out.

> 3) `textmode` // from the SVGAlib binaries
> 4) Get back to your original X session
>

> That's it.  I used gatos driver for my original X session.
>

> Hope it helps some!

I think so.

Karel