[MPlayer-users] Re: Newbie problems starting mencoder

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Sep 25 11:30:38 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Using -vf detc=dr=1 or -vf ivtc=1 with tv cam content (interlaced 50
> or 60 fps) will drop at least 1 out of every 5 "frames" (actually
> field pairs since frames don't exist), and additionally try to make
> progressive frames by rematching fields with less difference between
> them, which will reorder (and thus misorder) fields! So it's a very
> bad idea. Before selecting whether to encode as-is, deinterlace, or
> reverse telecine, you must be sure you know what kind of content
> you're dealing with! Actually the new vf_pullup can deal with mixed
> progressive/pulldown content properly, but it still could be a bad
> idea with true interlaced video...

Of course it's bad to use detc or ivtc with interlaced video. That's why
I said, "Specifically, one should only deinterlace TV sources." I went
on to recommend using detc or ivtc *for film sources*. Please try to
read a post before you go off on it. You wonder why I've gotten so angry
at you before.

Jonathan Rogers