[MPlayer-users] Streaming over the worst connection. GPRS

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Thu Sep 25 15:24:21 CEST 2003

> This works well at home, but driving around the siginal goes in and out.  I
> have a 1MB cache, but after 5 to 15 minutes something happens and MPlayer
> stops.  I have to Ctrl-C MPlayer and restart it.  It's like if MPlayer
> looses the connection, it just hangs and won't retry.

I have exactly the same problem streaming digital TV (DVB) over my LAN.  If
there are too many problems with the stream, mplayer just gives up - although
for once it actually quits instead of locking up.  Sometimes though if the
problem was with the reception rather than the streaming (i.e. the stream
contains corrupted data rather than missing packets) then after 5-15 minutes
the picture goes a bit jerky and I lose sound (but then it plays fine in
silence until I quit and reload when it keeps going properly again.)

Unfortunately I don't really know what causes it, but it sure is annoying ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.