[MPlayer-users] Playing mencoder's recorded AVI's onwindowsmedia player: AUDIO DESYNC

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Sep 26 23:09:10 CEST 2003

Hi.

One could argue that...

> I would strongly recommend not using matroska since it's inefficient,

Tests show that a typical Matroska file usually has lower overhead than
the comparable AVI file, and sometimes more overhead. OGM always does
much worse than both of them.

> bloated to implement,

Which should not be a concern for users, only for coders.

> and just not designed very competently. Of
> course, whatever format you choose to use now, you're free to convert
> to the new NUT format once it's stabilized and supported by mplayer.

One could also argue that NUT's "design" consisted of about one week of
developers sharing ideas about a year ago. Since then nothing has
happened. And NUT will probably not spread any further than
mplayer/mencoder itself as no one seemed to be interested in making it a
widely used format (if it's going to be implemented at all, but I guess
one day Rich will be fed up enough, sit down for a day and implement it
;)).

Rich is contra Matroska, I'm pro Matrosa. I'd say you should take
everything said be either of us with a good portion of skepticism. The
truth is probably somewhere in between. Why don't you try Matroska for
yourself and base your decision on your own experience?

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)