[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer not playing audio

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 08:12:22 CEST 2004

> audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device
> or resource busy
> alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
> alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels,
> Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> alsa-init: no soundcards found: Success
> AO: [arts] can't connect to aRts soundserver
> AO: [esd] esd_open_sound failed: Connection reset by
> peer
> SDL: Samplerate: 48000Hz Channels: Stereo Format
> Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> SDL: Unable to open audio: No available audio device
> AO: [null] 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> (2 bps)
> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit ->
> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
> Starting playback...
> A: 105.4 V: 105.4 A-V: -0.013 ct:  0.114  3154/3154
> 22%  7%  5.0% 60 0 0%
>
> It starts playing video but there is no audio. Also
> when I invoke the GUI, it does not recognize the DVD.
> Can you suggest what I am doing wrong.
> I would appreciate your help.

1. it looks like mplayer tried sdl,arts,sdl,esd and
then settled for null (no sound) audio output driver as last resort

some basic checks,

is another process using your device /dev/dsp?
lsof | grep /dev/dsp
from log looks like it complained about device being busy

does your sound work in other programs?

2. misc tab under preferences has the dvd device settings
default is /dev/dvd

this should be a symlink to your dvd device.

ls -l /dev/dvd will show this info

I dont use the gui myself so I cant tell you more about it.