Video ok, no sound just for MPlayer (WAS: [MPlayer-users] Re: Oly 3 sec of video)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Apr 4 15:56:45 CEST 2004

On Sunday, 04 April 2004 at 15:39, Roberto Fernandes Tavares Neto wrote:
> Hi again...
>
> I could get the videos working fine, and XMMS plays sound w/ no problem.
>
> But the videos are soundless. The mplayer founds the codec, but...
>
> Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
> AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
> AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
> Audio: no sound
>
> Does anyone knows how to solve this one? Alsa is ok (as far as I can
> see), but what is the logical reason to MPlayer cannot use the sound
> device? (I believe there is one, I'm talking about linux over here :-) )

Yes. You're probably running some sound mixing server like esd or arts
and your MPlayer is set to use /dev/dsp directly (ao=oss in config).
Either shut down the esd/arts or configure MPlayer to use them.
Basically, see what audio output XMMS is using and set MPlayer to use
the same. Unless of course XMMS is using /dev/dsp (OSS), in which case
you must stop whatever XMMS is playing to be able to use /dev/dsp from
another application (like MPlayer), because OSS usually allows only one
process to use /dev/dsp.

HTH & HAND
R.

--