Video ok, no sound just for MPlayer (WAS: [MPlayer-users] Re: Oly 3 sec of video)

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Sun Apr 4 20:17:33 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Why does anyone need "alsa support" anyway? ALSA provides the standard
> oss api in addition to its windows-ish library-based api, so you can
> just use ao_oss.

Alsa provides additional features like dmix, which don't work with the
oss emulation.
For example with oss emulation only one program can use the soundcard at
a time, with alsa I have configured the default device to use dmix, so
the output of multiple programs gets mixed automatically.
It could be considered a bug that mplayer still opens the hw device
instead of default by default.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.