[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer > 1.x doesn't recognize my radeon card with vidix

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 04:16:40 CEST 2004

> i use a radeon 7500 and the error-message is: can't find working vidix
> driver. the dareon driver is probed, as i can see with -v.

just in case curious as I have the same video card as you and was trying this
with a CVS build.

(I never did make install and just ran from the build directory)

./mplayer -v -vo xvidix file.avi

It failed for me at first
vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver

because it needed
vidix/drivers/radeon_vid.so in /usr/lib/mplayer/vidix directory

made directory  /usr/lib/mplayer/vidix and copied in
vidix/drivers/radeon_vid.so
as root

./mplayer -v -vo xvidix file.avi
failed
[radeon] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
needs root permission for the direct hardware access.

it is not recommended to run mplayer as root
instead need to use svgalib_helper
I have not yet set this up myself.

source code is at
http://www.svgalib.org/

then you would load the module before running mplayer.
insmod svgalib_helper

good luck