[MPlayer-users] Incorrect HE AAC audio playback

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Apr 9 14:38:03 CEST 2004

> -af pan works for you? How? When I try to use it, it loads 5 or 6
> random conversion filters back and forth between float and int, and
> white noise is the ultimate result. Very broken...

Wow. I'm not the only one who discovered this! I thought there was
either something wrong with my setup or that pan was something that you
weren't supposed to use, when after 6 hours all I could make it do was
trigger random conversion filters -> noise or just segfault :)

pan trying to feed floats into esd, which reinterprets them as signed
shorts, produces results which are far too sophisticated and
complicated for my poor brain to comprehend :-)

What I was trying to do was play a DVD with 5.1 sound, but since the
default remixing of 5.1 to 2 channel seems to make all dialogue like
whispering (to not disturb the glorious movie sound track and massive
explosion (who needs anything but special fx, right)), I figured pan
would do it... Pity there isn't separate -channel for decoder and ao,
which I realized after bashing -af pan for awhile.