[MPlayer-users] Re: Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!

Dominique De Munck chef at ulyssis.org
Mon Apr 12 20:22:41 CEST 2004

Hi,

I don't know what you mean by "normalizing", but I realy dislike indexing
my 2+ GB  avi recordings  each
time I want to scroll them. So having a nice mpeg output would be great.

Some more info about this anoying problem:

When capturing TV to the mpeg format with mencoder (cvs, 10 April), I get

Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!
Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!

I don't know why, but changing the channel on my VCR triggers 1 such
error.
I get them about 25 times / hour in normal tv show, even when I adjuist
resolution
such that I get CPU usage around 20%.

Audio sync with mplayer is OK, but not with ffmpeg, transcode, mplex, ...
(which I need to get it on DVD)
There in the resulting file  audio video sync has problems: video runs
faster, +/- 1 sec / hour .

When I "cut" some some fragments with "ovc copy avc copy", mencoder
reports :

1 duplicate frame(s)!

about as many times as I get that error and the resulting file is OK with
mplayer.

I  record like this:
mencoder -quiet tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:input=1:width=720:height=576:device=/dev/video0:audiorate=48000:contrast=-20:brightness=10
-\
ovc lavc -of mpeg -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5600:keyint=100:aspect=4/3:acodec=mp2:abitrate=128
-channels 1 -oac lavc \
-vop crop=712:568:4:4 -o dvd2004_04_04-13_30_12.mpg

An example file  with 1 such error in can be found at
http://chef.studentenweb.org/public/mencoderMPEG.mpg

The errors comes from the following code :

  if (s->type == MUXER_TYPE_VIDEO) { // try to recognize frame type...
    if (s->buffer[0] != 0 || s->buffer[1] != 0 || s->buffer[2] != 1 ||
len<6) {
      printf ("Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!\n");

in libmpdemux/muxer_mpeg.c line +/- 255

Badly enough, I can't give an example file where "mencoder" corrects the
"bad frames" because it occurs only with files > 200 MB.

Some more info can be found  at :

http://chef.studentenweb.org/public/mencoderMoreInfo.txt

Dominique De Munck