[MPlayer-users] Can't get digital sound on Revolution 7.1

John Jamieson jamie474747 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 01:32:46 CEST 2004

I've been running mplayer with an Audigy2 sound card, and I'm trying to change over to an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. I'm running Alsa 1.0.2 and Fedora Linux. I've searched the message boards and found what I needed to get 2-channel stereo output worrking fine, and I can also get S/PDIF out with the aplay command (aplay -D plughw:0,1 fn.wav works fine). But I've had no luck getting the mplayer options set right to get S/PDIF out. All I get is silence.

Based on what worked for aplay, I set -ao alsa9:hw0,1, but the mplayer output includes

format AC3 are not supported by hardware, trying default

Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound

Having been burned before, I did check alsamixer to make sure my volume settings had not been lost.

I'm sure others have gotten this card to work, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions for what I should try would be most appreciated.