[MPlayer-users] Re: Can you do this in mencoder ?

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Fri Apr 16 10:55:50 CEST 2004

rcooley wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:29:32 +0200
> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at peaktime.be> wrote:
>

>>>I'd be willing to bet it can handle MP2 audio.
>>
>>Not in ASF/WMV. And even WMP7 and WMP9 reject MP2 there, though they
>>accept mp3)
>

> Okay, that leads to the other question.  Is there some reason you must
> use ASF?  If the target is just WMP6.4 compatibility, you have other
> options.

Which ones? It *has* to be a streamable format (so AVI is out) and
ultra-low-bitrate, down to ISDN rates (so MPEGs are out).

>>>If not, you could always try avifile instead.
>>>

>>Alas no, WMP is the mandated target.
>

> As Rich said, I was refering to using avifile for doing the encoding,
> rather than MPlayer/ffmpeg.  It should be able to encode wma audio.

According to avifile.sourceforge.net , DOCS, SUPPORTED COMPRESSION FORMATS:
# Audio
# Win32 ACM DLLs, decompression-only support:
Windows Media Audio ( also known as DivX ;-) Audio )
MS ADPCM
Intel Music Codec
It seems that *any* use of codec DLLs as encoder is simply not supported.

Looks like the *only* way is to use wm8eutil under wine, which seems
possible - but the only pages I found so far are in Japanese!

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles