[MPlayer-users] mencoder vobsubout and two subtitles

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 18 05:37:03 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Maximo Ramos wrote:
> Citando a  Loren Merritt (lorenm at u.washington.edu):
> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Maximo Ramos wrote:
> >
> > > How can I get the two languages that came in a DVD in one .sub/.idx
> > > file?
> > >
> > > I am using the following:
> > >
> > > mencoder $filename \
> > >  -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128:aq=9:mode=0 \
> > >  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=$vbitrate:vqmin=3:mbd=1:v4mv:vb_strategy=1
> > >  -vf scale -xy 480 -zoom -mc 0 -sws 2 \
> > >  -vobsubout test \
> > >  -vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 0 \
> > >  -vobsuboutindex 1 -sid 1
> >
> > You can't use -sid twice in one command-line. You can, however, run
> > mencoder a second time with the second -sid, and it will append to the
> > existing .sub/.idx. (-oac copy -ovc frameno is sufficient for this second
> > pass.)
> >
> > --Loren Merritt
>
> mencoder a second time? you mean using 3-pass encoding? I was trying to
> avoid that because it will take twice the time.
>
> Is there any other option?

The easy way is:

mencoder $filename -nosound -ovc frameno \
 -vobsubout test -vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 0

(repeat for each subtitle stream you want)
This doesn't encode or even decode anything, so it takes negligible time.

Note: Make sure to delete any leftover test.{sub,idx} before starting this
demux. It works because mencoder simply appends the vobsubs to whatever is
currently in those files, but that means it also keeps any junk from
previous runs.

Then encode the video without any -vobsubout options.

--Loren Merritt