[MPlayer-users] VP6 ?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Apr 24 07:07:33 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:35:30 -0700 (PDT)
TrFremont <mplayer at rillonia.org> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Is it likely that the On2 VP6 codec will be included in mplayer soon?

It's already in CVS.  I've been using it for weeks now.  You have to
download and install the program from On2, and then copy the codec to
your MPlayer DLL folder, unless you have another way of finding
vp6vfw.dll.  You might also want to get VP4 while you're at it.

The audio format used by .vp6 files is not yet supported, but that will
only affect the sample clips from On2 (NSV streams use regular AAC/MP3
audio).

> It would be good to have a linux viewer for VP6 NSV streams.

Some NSV streams are VP6, but many are VP5.  In fact, all the videos on
http://winamp.com/videos/ are in VP5 format, which MPlayer can't handle.

VP5 support is already in MPlayer, but the DLL is not available.  It's
been uploaded to/incomming on the mplayer FTP server, but those that
have access to it have not decided to make the DLL available for
download.  So, you have VP6, VP4, and VP3 support, but you won't be able
to watch all Nullsoft videos due to the lack of VP5.