[MPlayer-users] Nobody here who can help with cutting black borders away?

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Tue Apr 27 13:29:29 CEST 2004

Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Because nobody answered to my prev. mail, I repeat it here.
>
>I am using mencoder/mplayer since a longer time on my Linux based "Video Disk
>Recorder". Works really great, it records on the fly from my Hauppauge into
>DivX4 encoded files.
>
>In a second step I transfer the .AVI file onto my desktop PC and use there
>avidemux to cut out all advertising. The result is a wonderful DivX4 encoded
>movie without advertising.
>
>What I want to do is:
>There are still black borders on top and bottom of a movie when it is a 16:9
>movie. This black border costs space and brings nothing, so I would like to
>cut them away in a final task, without loosing audio/video sync or another
>video quality loss.
>
>How? If somebody could drop me a line with the required command line options,
>please?
>

>mfg
>
>  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

if no one answered there will be a reason, right?
to crop you need to use -vf crop=...    read the man page for details;
in any case  you can't crop without re-encoding, so I suggest to store
the original recording
as a lossless format, such as ffv1 or huffyuv (again,  man  mplayer ,
man ffmpeg, ffmpeg -formats
to get the list of codecs)