[MPlayer-users] cutting with mplayer/mencoder

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 29 19:06:58 CEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:11:02 +0300
> marianciuc <marianciuc at home.ro> wrote:
>
> > How I cut  an  *.avi file , with mplayer/mencoder in two parts: first from
> > beginning to 01:20:30 time , and second from 01:20:30 to end of  avi file ??
>
> man mplayer for switches -endpos and -ss

No, don't use -endpos / -ss for splitting avis. -ss seeks to the next
I-frame after the specified time, while -endpos ends exactly at the
specified time. So you can lose up to several seconds of video if you
split that way.

A tool that works (finds I-frames and splits at an appropriate location)
is avisplit (comes with transcode).

--Loren Merritt