[MPlayer-users] bad header for large avi files?

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Aug 1 22:15:34 CEST 2004

* wrote:

> Hello, whenever I encode something that produces a large avi
> file (not sure of the exact size yet, maybe >1G?) mencoder seems
> to write an incorrect header.
>
> I say that because when I try to merge it with audio:
>
>     ogmmerge -o movie.ogm -A movie.avi -D audio.ogg
>
> The resulting movie.ogm file is only about 900M instead of
> 1400M.  And when I run avitype on movie.avi it gives 2 warnings:

>               <AVI reader> : Reading index from offset: 1071620284
>               <AVI reader> : WARNING: stream header has incorrect dwLength
> (222045 != 121586) <AVI reader> : Stream 0 vids : DIVX (0x58564944) 121586
> chunks (474.95KB)       <AVI reader> : WARNING: stream header has incorrect
> dwLength (518626304 != 284032000)
>                             <AVI reader> : Stream 1 auds : AC3 DVM (0x2000)
> 10144 chunks (79.25KB)          ...
>
>                                                                           In
> other words, in this example ogmmerge will only merge 121586
> chunks and the tail of the movie will be cut off.
>
> I've tried encoding 3 different 2-CD movies and this occurs with
> all of them, and doesn't occur with 1-CD sized movies.
>
> If it helps, I'm using MEncoder 1.0pre5-3.3.3 with Gentoo.  Any
> ideas?

Older Versions of VirtualDub (reaaaaaly old) wrote bad dwDuration
values, but the dwDuration values are not essential. If dwDuration
is really bad, and if nothing else is broken, then any program failing
only because of this (like Windows Mediaplayer) is as b0rked as the
OGM format itself...

However, without having the entire file it is very hard to say
if the AVI files is bad, or if ogmmerge is just even worse than
OGM...if you have access to a windows system, or if AVI-Mux GUI
works in wine, then please load your AVI file there, and check
'Information about file'. If dwDuration values are indeed bad,
it will tell about it.

Alex