[MPlayer-users] avi file question

Vincent Yau v_yau2 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 01:46:04 CEST 2004

Dear All:

I am a newbie so please excuse this naive question.

I have used mencoder (comes with Mplayer) to convert
a RMVB video file to an avi file.
I did that on my Fedora RC2 box.
I am able to play the avi file afterwards.

I then copy that same avi file over to my windows box
but no tools would recognize that file.  I have tried Pinnacle StudioDV,
Windows Media player.  Both said the file format is not
recognized.

here is the output of piping the file into the command 'file' on my fedora
box:

  ep1.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 452 x 340, 30.00 fps, video: DivX
4, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 44100 Hz)

Any tips/pointers why the file is not well received on the Windows platform?

thanks

--Vincent