[MPlayer-users] Encoding problems / tips needed

JiHO jo.irisson at noos.fr
Mon Aug 2 20:42:23 CEST 2004

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> I used to think that xvid produced better results in this regard, but it
> doesn't (especially if you watch on a TV).
> I never even saw a visible difference between vhq=0/1/2, so you may save
> all that time.

encoding in XviD I was using these options:
-xvidencopts
bitrate=980:qpel:gmc:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:vhq=4:autoaspect:pass=1

on a one minute test in the middle of the movie, XviD seemed to perform
better than lavc but now I'm watching the first 10 minutes and there's
no noticeable difference with lavc, appart that it is 10 times longer to
encode! maybe I tested on a part where XviD algorithm was more suited.
I'll probably stick to lavc (which is be better for my laptop's
temperature and for my patience) but just by curiosity and desire of
completeness, what do you think of theses XviD encoding options? do you
know others that provide quality with less expanse of time?

thank you for your help.
--
JiHO
---