[MPlayer-users] Encoding problems / tips needed

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Mon Aug 2 23:30:55 CEST 2004

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:17:33 +0200
JiHO <jo.irisson at noos.fr> wrote:

> mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm -aofile
> foo.wav oggenc -q 6 foo.wav -o foo.ogg

I use -q 0 and find it adequate. You may want to use more but 6 is
probably way more than necessary.

> 	Example: in order to fit the movie on two 700 Mb CDs
> 		target_size = 1 400 000 000

Given that there are usually 703MB on a 700MB disc, and that 1MB is
1024B I make target size here 1 474 297 856, which may go some way to
explaining why your encodes are 30MB smaller than a full disc.

> hicup 1/ Movie duration in step 2 has to be read from lsdvd because
> mplayer's OSD seems to give a wrong value when playing DVDs.

If you encoded audio to ogg you can get the duration from that with
ogginfo. I daresay there are similar tools for mp3 and ac3.

Martin