[MPlayer-users] DVD playback: ILLEGAL REQUEST and could not open device

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Aug 4 13:14:10 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, 03 August 2004 at 16:50, Russell Packer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've hunted high and low through all the manuals, the faq, and the
> wonderful world of google, but can't seem to get mplayer to play my
> DVDs!
>
> I'm using Slackware 10, and have the following DVD writer:
>
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: _NEC     Model: DVD_RW ND-2510A  Rev: 2.15
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> The error messages I get:
>
> Playing dvd://1.
> libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd
>
> And in the syslog I get:
>
> kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
>

> I have /dev/dvd linked to /dev/sr0, and the DVD plays back OK in xine.

AFAIK you should have it linked to /dev/scd0, at least this works for me:
$ ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 kwi 11 20:48 /dev/dvd -> scd1

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
 hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
 hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
 scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
   Vendor: MITSUMI   Model: CR-2801TE         Rev: 1.10
   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   Vendor: LITE-ON   Model: COMBO LTC-48161H  Rev: KH0P
   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
 Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
 sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 8x/8x writer xa/form2 cdda tray
 Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
 sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

$ uname -r
2.4.26-lv-lm2

HTH,
R.