[MPlayer-users] Extracting image from a movie

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Aug 4 19:28:50 CEST 2004

Home wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a file movie.avi
> Can I extract(make captures) images from this (jpeg, tiff, etc) with
> mplayer , anh how ??

Yes.

mplayer movie.avi -ss <start position> -frames <number of frames to
capture> -vo <jpeg, png, pgm>

Because -ss is imprecise, and in some cases inaccurate, you will need to
be careful about what you set it to; you will also almost certainly get
many more images than you need. The files will be deposited in the
directory from which you run MPlayer, IIRC.

If all you need is a single image of a single frame, then I'd recommend
the use of a separate program to grab it; I have, in the past, used
scrot for that purpose. This will not work with some VO methods,
however.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.