[MPlayer-users] Re: Extracting image from a movie

King baggetun at netscape.net
Thu Aug 5 10:33:16 CEST 2004

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Hi,
> > Withe command
> >
> > mplayer levy.avi -ss 60 -vo png -nosound -frames 1
> >
> > I get two images one of the opening frame and one from the frame
> >  starting at 60 seconds. (etc. If a try to make images of
> > two frames with '-frames 2' I get three images. One of the
> >  first frame + the two frames starting from 60 sec.)
> >
> > I can't figure out why I get this first frame as a png image.
>
> Yes, I remeber that problem. It has to do with how -ss is implemented.
> It starts playback and then seeks, afaik, thus giving you always one
> frame from the beginning.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

If it first starts playing and then seeking can this then be considered a bug ?
With some scripting I now can delete the first image I get (since this is always
the opening frame) and use the second (in my web application), but it would
still be nice to know how to grab a single frame with mplayer/mencoder and turn
it into an image.

Thanks
- King