[MPlayer-users] DVD playback: ILLEGAL REQUEST and couldnotopendevice

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Aug 5 22:16:28 CEST 2004

On Thursday, 05 August 2004 at 11:58, Russell Packer wrote:
> [...]

I have
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
here, too, but I don't think it matters. Everything above is more or less
the same.

[cut the rest]
I have all the others unset.

> The only other thing in the logs was:
>
> Aug  3 12:49:13 dvdburner modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> sound-slot-1
[...]
> But, these went away when I selected OSS instead of ALSA.

Yes, this is unrelated to our problem.

> I just did a grep for "block-major" and came back with:
>
> Aug  4 14:59:15 dvdburner modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> block-major-8
> Aug  4 14:59:54 dvdburner modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> block-major-8
> Aug  4 15:00:04 dvdburner modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> block-major-8
>
> But then that was yesterday when I was trying every device I could think
> of in every possible way to see if it made any difference. Eg. hdc, sda,
> sda1, sdc, sdc1, sr0, etc...

>From linux/Documentation/devices.txt:
  8 block       SCSI disk devices (0-15)
                  0 = /dev/sda          First SCSI disk whole disk
                 16 = /dev/sdb          Second SCSI disk whole disk
                 32 = /dev/sdc          Third SCSI disk whole disk
                240 = /dev/sdp          Sixteenth SCSI disk whole disk

sdX is for SCSI disks only. Seems irrelevant.

Oh, one more thought: did you enable large file support in MPlayer?

I'm almost out of ideas. :(

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/