[MPlayer-users] Multiple Mplayers (videos and MP3s)?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 6 09:30:26 CEST 2004

> I need to play two videos (MPEG1, 352x288, 25fps, 1,15Mbit) and four
> mp3s (128kbit/s, Stereo, 44,1khz) at the same time from one PC.

> The PC is a P3-800 machine running NT4 with the latest servicepack. It
> is equipped with 2 MPEG-Cards (type unknown, most likely some Sigma
> card with Hollywood chipset) and a Terratec EWS88 MT Soundcard.

The machine should be fast enough, but I'm not sure whether the
Hollywood+ driver can cope with two Hollywood+ cards - and likewise I've
never tried using it with mplayer under Windows (only Linux.)  Even if
it does work, I'm not sure how you could tell mplayer which card you
want to play it back on.

Likewise I'm assuming the sound card has multiple outputs?  You'll have
to tell mplayer where the sound should go, otherwise all the sound will
be combined on the one output which is most probably not what you want
;-)

> Is it possible to start 6 instances of mplayer, play individual
> playlists for each player and select wich output each player should
> use?

It should be possible - I've tried it for fun on my dual monitor setup,
playing one video on one CRT and another video on a second CRT (both
connected to the same video card) and that worked okay (I'm using Linux
though.)  I think the hardest part will be getting the two video streams
to two different DXR3 cards.

Cheers,
Adam.