[MPlayer-users] Playing RP streams

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 08:25:34 CEST 2004

Nicholas Avenell wrote:

> I've just reinstalled mplayer (latest tarball, straight configure,
> make && make install) with all the codecs in /usr/local/lib/codecs/
> and I'm trying to stream Realplayer streams (From the BBC) but get
> this:
>
> (Running as not-root doesn't make any difference, apart from not
> being able to read /dev/rtc, which I'm fixing)
>
> atoll:/home/aquarion# mplayer -dumpfile ~/there -dumpstream
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

> Playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram.
> Resolving www.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server www.bbc.co.uk[212.58.224.81]:80 ...
> Cache size set to 320 KBytes
> Connected to server: www.bbc.co.uk
> Stream not seekable!
> Core dumped ;)
>
> Exiting... (End of file)
> atoll:/home/aquarion#
>
> Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

I'm not sure there's anything to fix; this looks like the normal,
expected -dumpstream output. (The message "Core dumped" means that the
core of the incoming stream has been dumped into a file; this is meant
to be indicated by the winking smiley. Many people seem to be confused
by this, especially since AFAIK it isn't documented anywhere - but the
people who are mostly In Charge of these matters seem adamant about "it
doesn't need changing", so...)

How much time passed between hitting Enter and getting the last three
lines of output? If it was more than a few seconds or so, I'd guess that
you probably have your output file just fine.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.