[MPlayer-users] compile with mad codec

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Fri Aug 13 22:24:37 CEST 2004

On 2004.08.13 21:51, Johan Lindqvist wrote:
> Torinthiel wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:26:28PM +0200, Johan Lindqvist wrote:
>>
>>> I wan't to compile mplayer with the mad mp3 codec. In the
>>> documentation it says that codecs needs to be put in the /usr/
>>> local/lib/codecs directory, but mad installs itself in /usr/local/
>>> lib. Do I need to copy the mad files to the codecs directory to get
>>> them into the compilation?
>>>

>> Try configure --with-madlibdir=...
>> Torinthiel
[...]
> Will the codecs in /usr/local/lib/codecs still be included then?

The codecs you put there are closed source binary codecs (like win32
dll, qt codecs, realplayer libraries, ...)
Mad is a library that get linked at compilation time; MPlayer usually
autodetects it, but if it doesn't you can use the commandline
Torinthiel told you to tell mplayer where to find it.
Just note that to compile a program with a library you also need the
developement part of the library (the .h files and such), not just
the .so file.
So, if you installed mad from a binary package of your distribution, be
sure to install also the developement package (if the library is called
"libmad", the devel package is usually "libmad-dev" or "libmad-devel",
check your distrib for details).

Ciao,
 Roberto