[MPlayer-users] How to *FIX* broken divx/xvid avi files ?!?

alpha0x89 at yahoo.de alpha0x89 at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 14 13:18:19 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 13:58, jarek darnowski wrote:
> ...i know that *error* exist in video stream just few seconds
> before 1984 sec. of video, and it's propably localized at 10% of
> video time (not size, because of VBR, additional index, headers
> etc.).
> ...my questiton: How can i find out exactly in which part of
> video file is this error ? (i mean fe. begins 345673 byte and
> ends at 356534 byte). is it possible to find out this location
> in bytes ?
>
> knowing ecactly location of the buggy data in avi file i could
> do this..
> - split avi for a chunks just a few kilobytes less then detected
> error.
> - resume downloading file to the first chunk.
> - after few kilo/megabytes downloaded i should combine these
> files together and finally i can get a 100% error free avi file.
>
> ...so.. how to find out at which byte the error begins at broken
> avi ?!?

When I had this problem, I used MPlayer options '-v -v' to find out the
beginning of the buggy data. I think you can't use MPlayer to find the end. A
(somewhat laborious) way to find the position where to combine the data
(after downloading the missing part) is the clever use of 'cmp' and 'od' (or
'hexdump' or 'xxd') and 'grep' or your favourite hexeditor.