[MPlayer-users] Simultaneous recording/encoding and watching?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Aug 15 11:32:39 CEST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:15:00 +0200
Martin Bammer <e9525103 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi!
> Is it possible to encode and watch a film at the same time?

As long as stay a few minutes behind the current position being
encoded...  It works fine.  You won't be able to SEEK past the point
where encoding was when you started playback (unless you are using "-of
mpeg" or something else).

> When I try this mplayer only plays until the position where mencoder
> was at the time of opening the file for reading.

You probably didn't let it get far enough along, or you have your cache
set to a large value (so it cached the EOF).  Using "-nocache" may help
a bit.