[MPlayer-users] the need for speed mplayer not so fast...

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Mon Aug 16 18:07:12 CEST 2004

Hi again,
This is probably a ridiculous question but I'll ask it anyway. Could
someone give me some hints on what is relevant to the speed of an encode
(in fps) that is not related to either:
codec
mplayer version
mencoder options
hardware
Running the same encode with the same machine, same version of ffmpeg
and mplayer on mdk and gentoo give very different speeds.
It was compiled with the following gentoo use flags:
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre5-r2  -3dfx +3dnow +X -aalib
+alsa -(altivec) +arts -bidi -cdparanoia -debug -debug -directfb
-divx4linux -dvb +dvd +dvdread -edl +encode +esd -fbdev -ggi +gif +gtk
-ipv6 -joystick +jpeg -libcaca -lirc -live -lzo +mad -matroska -matrox
+mmx +mpeg -mythtv -nas +network +nls +oggvorbis +opengl +oss -rtc
-samba +sdl +sse +svga -tga -theora +truetype -v4l -v4l2 -xinerama +xmms
+xv +xvid  0 kB

As you probably know the cflags are not changed so you guys will accept
bugreports.

I tried reinstalling glibc but it did nothing. I have a similar problem
with transcode but a bit weird - I get around 40 fps for the first pass
but only 12 for the second.
I would LOVE to find out what is going on here!
Cheers
Antoine