[MPlayer-users] Libavcodec

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Fri Aug 20 22:59:19 CEST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 01:28:24PM -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> I use the following script to make sure I always get the current stuff... and
> build it.
>
> #build_new
> cd ~/cvs/mplayer
> cd ffmpeg
> cvs update -PAd
> ./configure --enable-pp --enable-mp3lame --enable-faad --enable-a52
> --enable-faac --enable-gpl
> cd ~/cvs/mplayer
> cd main
> rm -rf libavcodec
> rm -rf libavformat
> cvs update -PAd
> cp -r ~/cvs/mplayer/ffmpeg/libavcodec .
> cp -r ~/cvs/mplayer/ffmpeg/libavformat .
> ./configure --enable-freetype
> --with-reallibdir=/home/kdekorte/cvs/mplayer/rp9codecs --enable-live
> --with-livelibdir=/home/kdekorte/cvs/mplayer/live
> make

Boy, you like to make things complicated. First, the ./configure in
ffmpeg does nothing, unless you build ffmpeg as well. The resulting file
is in ffmepg, not in main.

Second, update -Pd is used so often it's used always. If you put a line
update -dP
in ~/.cvsrc it will be the default options. You can put -A there the
same way.

Third, if you do not build ffmpeg separately it's a waste of time to
update it on it's own. CVS is designed in such a way that if you copy
a directory to a different place you can still do anything CVS-related
with it. So if you do
cd ~/cvs/mplayer/main/libavcodec
cvs up (assuming -PAd are in ~/.cvsrc)
the result is the same as if you update ffmpeg, delete main/libavcodec
and copy libavcodec from ffmpeg.
And if you feel like forgetting about it (well, if you use script you're
not, but I'm just doung cvs -q up, make and sometimes, when that doesn't
work, ./bootstrap, which is just ./configure --some-options-I-use)
why don't make cvs update libavcodec and libavformat every time you
update mplayer?
Just add the following two lines to main/CVS/Entries
D/libavcodec////
D/libavformat////
It tells CVS that these are subdirectories under CVS control and it
should descend into them the same way id does i.e. with libmpdemux.
And the CVSROOT and everyting is stored in libavcodec/CVS/*, so
everything works perfectly. It's even mentioned in the docs.

And, if you do cp, consider cp -R. It's not wrong here, but it's good
habit. If you have any symlinks/device files/fifos/whatever -R preserves
them. -r does not.

Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl