[MPlayer-users] subtitles placement - -vf expand problem

Alain Barthélemy cassandre at bartydeux.be
Mon Aug 23 22:33:01 CEST 2004

Le lundi 23 août 2004, 08:04:25 ou environ Pablo Morales <pablo.morales at abitab.com.uy> a écrit:
> Hi body..
> I've been playing aroud with that for a while, and what I do is, extract the
> subtitiles to srt, the I encode using
> for example, scale=576:320,expand=576:480:-1:-1:1 and works great for me, I
> had the same problem as yours, with -50 as stated in the man page
> did not work. This is valid if you have the subtiles in an .srt file and
> play the movie wiht mplayer -vf parameters, I use the parameters above with
> mencoder.
>
> I almost forget, in the encoding parameters I include  autoapect:
>
> Bytes.

Thanks but it does not help me much.

This evening I tried with a "cropdetection" of 702:550:10:10

# mplayer ... -vf crop=702:550:10:10,scale=576:-2 ...

I found a scaling of 576x400

Then (after many trial):

# mencoder dvd://1 ... -vf crop=702:550:10:10,expand=0:-200:0:0,scale=576:400 ...

I managed something but it was pure hazard to have a picture without top black
border and a (too large) bottom border with the subtitles in it.

Of course there is a slight problem of scaling because there is expanding
before scaling but it was hit and try.

My question is always "how to determine the values to include in the -vf expand
option to have a border below the picture to set the subtitles in it". I don't
know but I once succeeded a long time ago. The man pages are very "light".

Thanks,

@+

--
Alain Barthélemy