[MPlayer-users] DV1394 stream

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Tue Aug 24 18:33:58 CEST 2004

Nate Solberg wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've gotten a Motorola DCT-6200 digital cable HDTV box with a firewire
> output. I've been told that this is a pure MPEG-2 stream and should be
> able to be displayed/encoded by any MPEG-2 decoder. I've setup the
> DV1394 kernel module and everything seems kosher, but I need something
> to play back the stream. I was wondering if MPlayer can do that, and
> if so how. I've seen that there is some trouble with digital
> camcorders, but this should be a little simpler since there's no
> controls, just a pure MPEG-2 stream.

what device is exposed by dv1394?
can it be simply cat or does it need ioctl()s?
in the former case, assuming the output is simply MPEG-TS,

mplayer - < /dev/1394device_name should go, in the latter case

you need for a stream driver.

I'm curious, where can I find docs regarding MPEG-TS over 1394 and about
dv1394 in linux?