[MPlayer-users] subtitles in the avi

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Wed Aug 25 19:46:25 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:07:18PM +0200, antoine wrote:
> If you don't bother to convert the dvd sub format (you will need to run
> special tools to extract the text, ie, ocr, and then something to create
> a text sub format) to a text format (usually 3-5 meg vs 30-60K). I don't
> usually rip subtitles with mplayer and get dvd::rip to automatically
> make an rar archive of the necessary files. You use the same syntax anyway.

You can use one of -dump*sub options. Does the conversion for you.

> If you have it already in text format then
> $ mplayer -sub nameofsub.txt nameofavi.avi
> and it is as easy as that. No disgusting burning of subtitles to the movie!

Usually even mplayer nameofavi.avi, as it loads automagically any sub
files that have the movie name in it. (Unless you specify -noautosub in
command line or config file)
And if you really, really need to burn subtitles in the movie then
recode it with -vf expand (and -ovf something else then copy).
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl